A Beauty Protest
I had a really bad habit of putting myself down about my appearance, and when we were first married my husband noticed this. His response to me doing this was to go on protest. He wouldn’t stop saying “I’m on strike,” until I admitted I was beautiful and stop complaining that my skin was bad or I was too tall or I didn’t like that mole on my right ear. I distinctly remember him standing on top of our bed repeating over and over in protest that I was beautiful and just to accept it.
My husband is right. He, in his own ridiculousness, was trying to tell me that I was being completely unreasonable. I am beautiful. I’m not trying to say that in a vain way, but in the fact that I am a child of God and God’s children are all beautiful. It’s so easy to pick ourselves apart, because the world constantly throws false images of beauty at us.
My husband also was able to see the bigger picture, as God sees me as, a whole picture. Instead of being the girl who has a zit on her chin, I am the girl who has a passion for helping others, who loves her small children with everything she’s got, who’s not afraid to dance in the kitchen or stand up for what she believes is truth. This is who God sees me as and thankfully this is who my husband sees me as, beautiful in and out.
We are beautiful for more reasons than that which is skin deep. We need to believe in ourselves that we are truly beautiful because we are God’s unique creations thru and thru. While not everyone has a husband protesting for their beauty we do have the fact that God doesn’t make ugly girls. Maybe we aren’t what Hollywood throws us as beautiful, but each of us is a woman, a being that has the ability to receive and bear fruit in more ways than one, which is something holy, and that is beautiful in itself.
Kiera Kurak blogs at Contranaut Girl, and is a member of CathSorority.
No comments:
Post a Comment